This is the plan where you choose your own individual or family dentist. The dental insurance plan pays the dental office on a traditional fee-for-service basis. A monthly premium is paid by the client and/or the employer to an insurance company, which then reimburses them for the services rendered.
A dental insurance company usually pays between 50% – 80% of the family or individual dental office fees for a covered procedures; the remaining 50% – 20% is paid by the client. These plans often have a pre-determined or set deductible amount which varies from plan to plan. Indemnity dental plans also can limit the amount of services covered within a given year and pay them based on a variety of fee schedules. Some typical features of these plans:
- High deductibles before coverage begins (well-designed plans don’t apply the deductible to preventive services)
- Probationary periods on certain procedures that last up to a year
- Annual dollar limit on benefits
- Chose your own individual or family dentist
- Your average monthly cost: $55 and up
- Companies selling these plans are regulated by state insurance departments